Click on the pictures above to watch the video clip
Our aim as a county is to inspire our children and young people to use their Welsh in all aspects of their lives.
Two languages = Twice the choice!
- Ensure that all the stakeholders of the school are aware of our vision ‘The Welsh language is all ours.’
- Raise the profile of the use of Welsh around the school.
- The School Council promotes the use of Welsh.
- We have a clear development plan for promoting the charter.
- We use the baseline as a starting point to assess impact.
- Celebrating and encouraging.
- The School Council plays a key role in promoting the Welsh language around the school.
- Key role for the School Council.
- Use of the character ‘Celt’ in every class.
- Promoting activities beyond the classroom e.g. Eisteddfod.
- Visitors e.g. art, music, poetry, sport.
- Use of digital technology.
- Reinforcing the need for both wheels to function!
What are the advantages?
- It is easier for those who speak two languages to learn other languages.
- Research also determines that bilingual pupils also tend to do better in other subjects at school.
- More jobs than ever before in Wales are asking for bilingual skills. Welsh is a valuable asset in the workplace
- On average, bilingual children achieve higher English test and exam results than children who speak only one language.
The role of the governors
Our Government body: –
- Take an active part in its implementation. We have a designated governor for supporting a Language Charter
- Take an active role in it’s implementation.
- Support the School Council.
- Use the Welsh language where possible during school visits.
- Celebrate school successes.
- Attend activities to promote the Welsh language.
- Support the School Council in promoting the use of Welsh within the local community.
STEP 1 – BRONZE
- Pupils are aware of the charter.
- It is consistently included on the School Council’s agenda.
- Parents were informed of the charter.
- Guidance is given to parents on how/where to learn Welsh within the community.
- Governors have an active role in supporting the charter with one specific governor lead role.
- The workforce work together to promote the school’s vision for promoting the use of Welsh.